Friday, October 29, 2010

Texture and Colour



A little bit more about the "Texture" piece I posted earlier.

I went into my sewing room and hunted out every piece of white fabric I could find! I had 18 different fabrics until I realised that one of them was fusible web that had lost its paper! Not happy! That makes 17. I have used everything from Pure silk to a beautiful silk/cotton blend, etching plate cleaning cloth (a really loose cheese cloth). Pure cotton and linen to poly blends and rayon. I think there is acetate in there too! the only fibre missing is wool.

No there is wool in there too - wool batting and cotton batting.

I tray dyed it last night, with a 1 meter piece of cotton scrunched up under it!  I used three Procion MX dyes, Raspberry, Golden Yellow and Forest Green.  I'm amazed how much the colour has changed the total effect!

I love it!  Now to work out how to stitch it to make use of that colour!

Hugz

8 comments:

geni said...

Amazing results from the dyeing and beautiful colors!

Fran C said...

gorgeous fabric colours are brilliant.

Chris said...

Fabulous fun! Cx

cinzia said...

They look so luxurious..

One question did you need to take any extra care or change your method for the silk as opposed to the cotton? I am going to try dyeing silk and have only ever done cotton. Would like to use the procion dyes as I have a ton of them.

Wil said...

It turned out gorgeous!!

lisette said...

gorgeous!! i love what you did with this piece, sally. you've inspired me (again!)

Robbie said...

This turned out really good! The colors bled perfectly! Now to stitch! Can't wait to see the finished piece!

Gisela Towner said...

Wow -- that is gorgeous! I really love the colors and the composition.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...