Monday, April 26, 2010

Remaking an ugly quilt block


A few weeks ago Rayna (I just checked - it's over a month ago!) threw out a challenge.







She found an old quilt top that she made in the early 1970's.  I put my hand up for one of the blocks.

That blue fabric is 65/35 polycotton!  The block sat on my desk at work for a week or two and then I took it home.  Last Friday I got my quickunpick out and pulled it apart.  Oh dear, that yellow is very yellow (thankfully cotton) and the blue is very thin.

So here is what I did on Saturday!
I dyed the yellow fabric with low emersion Red and yellow Procion MX dyes and I lino printed the blue using silver and gold fabric paint.The solid burnt orange fabric and the hand dyed binding fabric are from my stash! I used white fabric paint to add highlights to the lino blocks.

I’ve made a small walling hanging that I’ve free motion quilted.


Thanks Rayna for the chance to have some fun with fabric without any pressure!

It really is amazing what a little dye, a bit of imagination and two ugly fabrics can do!   I really like is now, so it has found a new home on my kitchen wall.
















I really enjoyed the process.


Hugz

10 comments:

quiltinbysea said...

A brilliant makeover Sally, the key ingredient though is 'imagination'.

Paxton said...

Wow, it really came out looking great! Love what you created from the block.

By the way, if I put out a challenge to do a makeover on me ..... do you think it will come out as good too ....... ?

Birdydownunder said...

you continue to amaze.
oh I am second in line to Paxton re her last comment.

Penny said...

So sorry to hear about your mother.
Your make over quilt is amazing. Wish I was able to do that but have come to the conclusion that you can and I cant!

Maggi said...

Who says you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? This is beautiful.

Robbie said...

Glad to see you're back at artwork and what a cool piece! It is interesting to see what we can do with something 'old'! Gee, maybe there's hope for us as well..guess that's why there are makeovers! I'll have to put that on my list - a makeover!

Lindi said...

Well done, Sally! Just goes to show you should never throw anything out! It can always be reused. :)

retdairyqueen said...

So sorry to hear about your Mother
Such a sad time for you

Chris said...

So you, Sally - a really sad time just past - (we girls always miss our mums), but look at you, a girl on a mission of creativity, never beaten by what life hands out to you - well done!

LuAnn Kessi said...

Hi Sally,
I saw your piece on Rayna's blog this morning.......nicely done! It caught my eye as soon as I was scrolling through her blog.
Warm hugs to you for the loss of your dear Mama.
I truly believe in the healing of creating textile arts.
Keep at it.
My Best To You,
LuAnn in Oregon
http://luannkessi.blogspot.com/
kessi@pioneer.net

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...