A few weeks ago Rayna (I just checked - it's over a month ago!) threw out a challenge.
She found an old quilt top that she made in the early 1970's. I put my hand up for one of the blocks.
That blue fabric is 65/35 polycotton! The block sat on my desk at work for a week or two and then I took it home. Last Friday I got my quickunpick out and pulled it apart. Oh dear, that yellow is very yellow (thankfully cotton) and the blue is very thin.
So here is what I did on Saturday!
I dyed the yellow fabric with low emersion Red and yellow Procion MX dyes and I lino printed the blue using silver and gold fabric paint.The solid burnt orange fabric and the hand dyed binding fabric are from my stash! I used white fabric paint to add highlights to the lino blocks.
I’ve made a small walling hanging that I’ve free motion quilted.
Thanks Rayna for the chance to have some fun with fabric without any pressure!
It really is amazing what a little dye, a bit of imagination and two ugly fabrics can do! I really like is now, so it has found a new home on my kitchen wall.