Thursday, August 04, 2011

Do You Like Chocolate?

On my way home from work yesterday, I decided to stop and take some more photos of the little bay.  I thought I would take the shots from a slightly different angle.  Right in the middle of the first photo is a factory - I took a closeup so you could see it a little more clearly.












This the the Cadbury Chocolate Factory - 10 mins walk from my house.  What an amazing setting for a factory.  The point it is built on also is home to a beautiful golf course.  A perfect combination - golf and chocolate.  There is a bit of family history attached to the chocolate factory.  When my maternal grandfather was a boy, he trained to be a confectioner.  He learnt all the tradition skills involved in making handmade toffees and chocolates.  When he was older, live got a little difficult an there was no work for confectioners.  As luck would have it, the Bournville family decided that the new factory their were going to build in Australia would be built on the shores of the Derwent River.  My Grandfather managed to get himself a job as a builders labourer on the site.  My grandmother told me that right at the top of one of those white silos there is a love heart etched into the cement, with both their initials in it.

My grandfather applied to a job as a confectioner as soon as the Family invited people to apply for positions.  He was laughed at because they all knew he was a builders labourer!  Finally one of the bosses said that if he could make pulled toffee from scratch he could have a job, and that is just what my Grandfather did - He made the toffee  rest is history.  He retired from the factory as Manager of the milk condensing plant.

I love chocolate!  Who could be in a better place!
Hugz
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Robbie said...

What an interesting story! just keep learning more and more about you!! Chocolate and golf..right up my hubby's alley!

Lindi said...

What a lovely piece of family history, Sally. How sweet to know the initialsof your Grandparents are in a heart on one of those stacks. :)

Annette said...

Wonderful story, thank you for sharing. mmmm...chocolate... yummy..
hugs

Anonymous said...

What a great story. The Bournville village here in the UK that was originally built for the workers is a beautiful place and properties there are now very sought after. I tried to get one to rent when I taught in Birmingham back in the 80s but there was a long waiting list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...